HISTORY


2015   opening The new Deaf Club building opened on 7 June 2015.
2015 DS Logo Print A new logo was designed to celebrate the new Deaf Clubrooms and a new phase in our long history.
2014  Fitz New Clubrooms purchased on 80 Fitzgerald Avenue in Christchurch city.  Building renovated to suit our needs. 
2013  Armagh demolish After the 2011 Christchurch Earthquake our building was deemed uneconomic to repair.  The building was demolished in 2013.
2012  90th DSC’s 90th Anniversary was held over the weekend of 28th –29th September 2012 at Addington Events Centre with 194 community members from Canterbury and all over NZ attending.
2011  rubble The Christchurch Earthquake, 22 February 2011 significantly damaged our building on Armagh Street. No-one was hurt in the Club.
2010  eq The 2010 Darfield Earthquake in September caused little damage to the Clubrooms and we were able to return after a building assessment. 
2007  85th 85th Anniversary held at Armagh Street Clubrooms.
2006  NZSL April 2006, the New Zealand Sign Language Act was passed in Parliament Making NZSL the 3rd official language of New Zealand.
2006  GregPateman Our current President, Greg Pateman.
2001  tom Tom Still was President of Deaf Society four times.  From 1974 to 1975, for one year in 1994, from 1996 – 1999 and 2001 – 2006.  
1999  AnnCroy Ann Croy became President for two years from 1999- 2001.
1997  Canterbury Sheepshead Logo Red Trim jpg Christchurch Deaf Society Inc. officially changed its name to Deaf Society of Canterbury Inc. in October 1997.
1995  RodneyHenwood Rodney Henwood was President for one year from 1995.
1989  Deaflympics Christchurch hosted the World Games for the Deaf (now known as Deaflympics).  This event was a huge milestone for Christchurch as it was the first time the event was hosted in the Southern Hemisphere.  About 111 NZ athletes competed.
1988  DennisTod Dennis Tod was President for 5 years to 1993.
1987  PollyFenchy Polly (Paremata) Fechney was President for one year.  She passed away in 1995.
1982  RichardTownshend Richard Townshend was President for 2 years from 1982 – 1983.
1981  Lesley Fechney Leslie Fechney was President for one year in 1981.  He passed away in 2009.
1978  DavidChilwell David Chilwell was President from 1978 – 1980.
1976  KenWilliams Kenneth Williams was President for one year from 1976. He passed away in 2013. 
1973   NormanHahn Norman Hahn was President for one year.  He passed away in 2005.
1972   golden jubilee Deaf Club’s Golden Jubilee was celebrated in June 1972.  Membership of the Club was 128. 
1971   VernonPope Vernon Pope became President from 1971 to 1972, 1956 - 1957 and from 1962 – 1966.  Vernon is a Life Member of DSC.
1970  DavidSinclair David Sinclair was President for one year. He passed away in September 2004.
1970   jane kinnear Jane Kinnear (nee Kerr), wife of our founder John Kinnear passed away in March 1970. 
1967   MargarettCoutts Margaret Coutts became our first female President.  She was also recognised by The New Zealand 1990 Commemoration Medal for her work in Deaf Sports. 
1965  armagh st Clubrooms opened on October 23rd 1965 at 232a Armagh Street; our first Deaf owned building.  Mr G. D. Griffiths officially opened the building and Jane Kinnear unveiled the plaque. 
1965  mr Griffiths Mr G.D. Griffiths MBE was the architect of the Armagh Street Clubrooms and attended all the Friends of the Deaf meetings.  He was made honorary Vice President of the Deaf Society for his generosity and support.  He refused to accept payment for his work on the Clubrooms.
1963   Kiwi lottery The project received a generous subsidy from NZ Government’s "Golden Kiwi Lottery" towards building costs. 
1960   old photo chch Deaf Club decided to that a section in the city was more convenient for members and purchased land at 232a Armagh Street for £8,200.  This was let out for parking and managed by Deaf members until building work started adding considerably to the building fund. 
1959   george manning A special committee called "Friends of the Deaf" made up of mostly hearing supporters was set up.  This was chaired by the then Mayor of Christchurch Mr. George Manning and its purpose was to plan and fundraise for a Deaf owned building.  Three street appeals were held in the late 50’s and early 60’s which helped to raise awareness of the Deaf community.   
1958  wrey jury Wrey Jury became President in 1958 until 1961.  He left a legacy for the Deaf Club on his death in June 2005.  There is a street named after him in Dallington, Christchurch called Wrey Jury Lane.
1956  old map A half-acre section was bought on Fitzgerald Avenue (close to Bealey Avenue) for £3000.  Members grew potatoes and sold them for the building fund.  
1955  John Kinnear John Kinnear passed away in April 1955.
1952  Old DSC logo Christchurch Deaf Society became an incorporated society in 1952.
1952  old nz money With membership increasing and the difficulties of renting a suitable room, members decided to fundraise for their own premises. The Club celebrated it’s 30th Anniversary.
1952 WArd Malcolm Ward became President from 1952 until 1955 and 1984 to 1986.  He passed away in 1992.
1950  Shield Auckland joined Christchurch and Wellington to compete for the Fairbrother Shield which later became the Labour Weekend Deaf Games.
1948  Helen Keller Helen Keller visited Christchurch and van Asch Deaf Education Centre and met Patty Still, one of DSC’s Life Members and Lilian Henwood, DSC member.  Patty and Lilian were students at van Asch.
1947  25th anniversary By the Club’s Silver Jubilee membership had grown to 50.
1946  propeller The origins of Labour Weekend Games began in Christchurch with the competition for the Fairbrother Shield; the shield was made from an aeroplane propeller from World War II.  For five years the competition just involved Christchurch and Wellington.
1945  trade hall A meeting room was rented in the Trades Hall building on Gloucester Street until 1964 except for a brief period in 1947 when lady members met at the Temperance Hall and men at the Pioneer Sports Club.
1940  Manch st The Club decided to lease its own rooms on the 1st floor of a building on Manchester Street.  The club was open on Friday afternoons and Friday and Saturday evenings.  Lady members would do their shopping on a Friday and then have afternoon tea in the Clubrooms.  After 5 years of use the lease expired due to new owners.
1938  cashel st The gymnasium used for a meeting place moved a bigger space in Tisdall’s building on Cashel Street.  This gave the group more scope for games and ping-pong competitions were held with trophies for the winners.  Card games were also popular.
1937  15th anniversary Christchurch Deaf Club’s 15th Anniversary.
1936  Gym off Armagh St Membership began to increase and the Kinnear’s house became unsuitable as a meeting place.  In 1936 the Club was offered use of a gymnasium in a lane off Armagh Street on Saturdays evenings.
1922  Young John John Kinnear was President of Christchurch Deaf Club from its start until 1951, almost 30 years.  He is our longest serving President.  John was born in Dunedin and had Deaf siblings.  
1922  John Kinnears house with community Christchurch Deaf Club, as we were known, was set up on 26th April, 1922 by John Kinnear making us the oldest Deaf Club in New Zealand.  Members met at John and his wife Jane’s house in North Parade, Richmond, Christchurch.